Monday, September 20, 2010

The Funeral...

If you follow me on Twitter, you may remember last week me posting about a co worker's husband passing away.  He had cancer and had been sick for awhile, it was expected but still a shock to her.  


The Memorial Service was this past Saturday at 11am.  My boyfriend was in town and said he would come with me for it. (he's a sweet heart). Well of course we ended up waking up just a little late but still made pretty decent time. Got the kids dropped of where they needed to be (I knew better than to try and get them to sit thru any type of memorial service) and we were off.  
We got to the cemetery at 1115. The service was supposed to be at the Mausoleum, but when we got there, there were no car in the parking lot. So we drove a bit and then I bucked up and decided to go into the office and ask for help. When I got in I asked for the coworkers husbands funeral service... Said I was told it was to be in the Mausoleum, the nice lady that worked there said they had moved it to the chapel, she could take us over that, but it was probably almost finished and it might be best if we just wait till it was finished and then just went with the procession to the graveside service. So that's what we decided to do because she said it would be finished shortly, and we didn't want to be rude just walking in at the end of the service...  
5 minutes go by and we sit... 10 minutes go by and we sit... 15 minutes go by and we sit...  I start to feel stupid for sitting out in my car this long...  No-one was coming out, we could have went in and been apart of the service. GGRR.. 20 minutes.. I see a man with his daughter come out for "fresh air". I decided to go over and talk to him and see what was going on... He told me the service was still going but was probably near the end and that it wasn't a big deal if we went in..  So I go back to the car but decide to just wait another few minutes because our luck just as we walk in... everyone else will be walking out.  So we wait... And finally we see people coming out and getting into their vehicles.  So we follow the line of cars to the grave side.. and while we are waiting there to get out, I look around and realized I don't recognize anyone there. Then my overthinking brain start going... "what if this isn't the right funeral?" what if we sat here waiting and it wasn't the right person?" What if we show up and pay our respects for a man that I don't even know!"  What if... What if... what if... 
Luckily, then I seen my coworker sitting down and a wave of relief came over me. It was alright. Phew. The graveside service was beautiful and from what I heard the Chapel service was too. I wish we would have went in and see it.   
After the service I went over and hugged my coworker and we left. 


On a its a small world note... and ex-coworker of mine was there and it turns out him and my bf knew each other when they were younger. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think... good, bad, and the downright ugly...